Sunday, August 30, 2009

So this has been an eventful weekend...

Yesterday, the Ghanian version of a SWAT team showed up at Church Crescent, where I live. Men with batons (and somewhere, guns, I'm sure) paraded the area as I sat in my living room watching the West Wing. It was almost like a bad dream.

Except instead of a nightmare, you don't get to wake up and find that your house wasn't broken into, that your roommate's macbook wasn't stolen, your closet door broken and your nerves rattled. And you begin to find meaning in everything-- like a piece of fallen barbed wire or a few broken bricks. Could these be clues? Or is it just in your head? All you want to do is ask these questions and more but unfortunately, no one seems to have answers.

So this is what's been going on since Friday around 8 PM-- when I came home from a long day in the countryside with no cell phone to frantic calls and panicked housemates. It's strange to think that while I was playing drums and dancing in the sand early that afternoon, a stranger could have been climbing my balcony, knowing that I was gone. 

Sorry for the seriousness of this post, I'll make up for it later this week by writing one about Chinese Food or bodily functions-- separate but not necessarily unrelated topics, I might add...

No comments:

Post a Comment